Tuesday 30 August 2011

Making a Difference

I am a Learning Support Teacher of students in Grades 10 to 12 and a  Learning Support Coordinator in a Kindergarten to Grade 12 campus. This year, we are trying to make a real commitment to a more differentiated approach to support our students. It doesn't mean that we are starting over, but rather building on promising instructional practices in an intentional, focused and systematic manner.

As a young educator in Nunavut, I participated in a number of amazing workshops with Carol Ann Tomlinson. I did not know it at that time, but as I look back, I realize what a gift it was to have been learning about differentiated instruction from such a wonderful and gifted teacher. This occurred in 1993. I loved listening to someone who truly put children and youth first!

Since then, I made a commitment to read current research in the area of differentiated instruction and look for resources that I can use to support all of my students. In my role, I have the added responsibility of assisting my colleagues as they create differentiated classrooms. I have encountered many great resources from ASCD. I like to find materials that are practical and easy to implement in the classroom. I also look for materials that I can share and explain to families - it is just as important for parents to understand what a differentiated classroom is and is not.

I just reviewed a resource from Alberta Education entitled - Making a Difference: Meeting diverse learning needs with differentiated instruction Teacher Resource.


This resource offers general information and strategies for differentiated instruction,
including why and how to plan, how to develop learner profiles, assess student needs and progress, create differentiated learning activities, integrate technology and develop school-wide support. Part 2 provides strategies for support students with special learning needs, including struggling and advanced learners.

Here's to great a school year and making a difference in the lives of our students and their families.




No comments:

Post a Comment